Ingredients for the pork
- Belly Pork – skin off, bone in or boneless (as you prefer)
- Chicken or pork stock
- Ginger – a lot
- Spring onions – plenty
- Garlic – plenty
- Cinnamon stick
- Sugar – Asian if possible
- Zest of a whole orange
- A lemon
- Button mushrooms
- Dark and light soy
- Korean Gochujang Chilli Paste
- Korean fermented soy bean paste (Doenjang Paste)
Method – Pork
- Slice 2/3rds of the ginger roughly (no need to peel ),
- Add ginger to the chicken stock with: few smashed garlic cloves, the green half of the spring onions, cinnamon, a little sugar, orange zest, splash of dark soy, a great spoonful of the Gochujang Chilli Paste and about half as much of the Doenjang Paste.
- Bring the mixture up to the boil, add the pork, then enough water to ensure the pork is covered.
- Simmer pork for 90 minutes. Then allow to cool in the broth.
- Remove the pork, strain the broth and bring it back to the boil.
- Add the rest of the ginger finely chopped, another big spoonful of Gochujang Chilli Paste and splash of light soy.
- Reduce until sauce is starting to thicken a little. At this point slice the pork thickly (if on the bone one rib per slice).
- Fry the pork on a high heat until crisp and golden on each side.
- Return the pork to the sauce and simmer adding the halved button mushrooms, lemon juice and salt to taste.
- When the sauce has thickened pleasingly and the pork is meltingly tender, sprinkle over the chopped whites of the spring onions.
- Serve with steamed jasmine rice and the pickled vegetables.
Ingredients for the Pickled Vegetables
- 1:2 cider vinegar: water
- Sugar – a little
- Coriander seeds
- Ribbons/thin slices of chosen vegetables (we we used carrot, cucumber, fennel, chilli, red onion, raddish)
Method – the picked vegetables
- Salt the veg once sliced and leave in a strainer over a bowl for 30 mins.
- Heat the water, vinegar and coriander to bring to the boil.
- Rinse the veg then put in a bowl and cover with the hot pickling liquor.
- Leave to cool and then serve with the pork.