- Pork belly – skin on bone out – 1 kg
- Shaoxing Wine – 2 tb sp
- Light soy
- White sugar – 4 tb sp
- Garlic cloves – lots – peeled, halved and green bit removed.
- Ginger – lots – unpeeled and sliced into discs.
- Star Anise – 2
- Cinnamon – 2 sticks
- Dry red chillies – 4 whole
- Spring onions – lots. Half of them cut into 4cm lengths and the rest finely sliced.
- Prep the ginger, spring onion and garlic.
- Put the pork belly into boiling water for 4 minutes. Remove and cut into bite size chunks.
- Melt the sugar in an equal quantity of vegetable oil. Cook until it turns into a rich caramel.
- Carefully add the pork pieces and turn to coat in the caramel.
- Pour in the shaoxing.
- Add garlic, ginger and spices.
- Add water to just cover, simmer until pork begins to feel tender. Skim off fat during the simmer.
- Turn up the heat add the lengths of spring onion and reduce until the sauce has enough body and the pork is melting.
- Season with soy sauce, salt and sugar to taste.
- Scatter over the finely chopped spring onion and serve.
- We ate ours with a king prawn and egg fried rice.